If you’re a writer who wants to make money blogging, here are six tips for optimizing your blog posts to ensure they’re on Google’s first page of search engine results (or as close to the coveted number one position as possible!).
Here’s a “starter tip” to get us warmed up:
“Successfully merging search engine optimization (SEO) targeted keywords into a body of text or copy is challenging,” says copywriter Thomas Redmond of Webbed Marketing. “Anyone can flood a couple of sentences with juicy keywords. However, more often than not, the sentences are unable to support those keywords.”
Search engine optimization may be the primary way of attracting readers to your blog – it’s definitely my preferred method! But, it takes practice. To learn about effective SEO strategies, read Search Engine Optimization: Your Visual Blueprint for Effective Internet Marketing. And here are six other ways to increase your blog readership and popularity…
6 Ways to Keep Your Blog High in Google’s Search Engine Results
1. Install the Broken Link Checker plugin. This is one of my favorite ways to help readers find my “Quips and Tips” blogs: as soon as this plugin announces a broken link in my posts, I immediately remove or replace the link. At the same time, I edit the blog post for clarity and search engine optimization. If you have a WordPress blog, install this plugin and clean up those dangling ends – especially since Google’s search engine favors blogs that don’t have broken links.
2. Ride your blog in the direction it’s going. By far, the most popular articles on my Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals website are my love and relationships ones. But I really wanted a serious “goals” oriented blog, so I published more and more articles about money, career, family, and health…but those posts never caught on. So, last weekend I decided to give my readers more of what they want, and created Quips and Tips for Love Relationships. In four days I earned more money from my Google Adsense advertising on that blog than from my “Achieving Your Goals” blog in ten days, which receives over a hundred times the traffic (literally)! Readers were finding my Love Relationships blog through Google’s search engine from day two, which is rare (and I’ve created five Quips and Tips blogs, so I know!).
3. Ride your blog in the direction it’s going – part two. I hesitated to include this tip for making your blog more popular because it’s been said a gazillion times….but what the heck. You don’t necessarily need to create a whole new blog to give readers what they want! You can also analyze their comments and the search engine queries that helped them find you, and write more articles that speak to their needs.
4. Consider a blog partnership. A great way to keep your blog high on Google’s search engine results is to grab a blog buddy. For example, transformational coach and author Gini Grey and I co-created Quips and Tips for Spiritual Seekers. We have a blogging schedule, and we both promote our posts in different ways. We’re working together to create a strong, successful site about spirituality – and earn money from our writing at the same time! If you’re interested in blogging with a buddy, read Blog Partnerships – Things to Consider Before Co-Blogging.
5. Revise your least popular blog posts. Schedule 15 minutes a day or an hour a week to find your least popular blog posts and tweak the keywords and content. For instance, if one of your weakest posts is called “How to Increase Your Blog Readership”, rewrite that article to focus on something different but related, such as “How to Keep Your Blog High on Google’s Search Engine” (which is not what I did in this post, by the way!). You’ll find your least popular posts in your blog statistics. Don’t just eyeball your daily or monthly statistics; use them to increase your ranking on Google’s search page.
Help for Writers and Bloggers
75 Ways to Make Money Blogging - How I made $60,000 last year with my Quips and Tips blogs. If you love to write, why not pay yourself?
73 Tips for Firing Up (or Just Firing!) the Muse- Because a writer's biggest struggle is motivation & persistence.
6. Rewrite your old blog posts. To optimize your blog in Google’s eyes, you need to keep adding solid content — and that can include working magic with your past blog posts! In Get More Blog Readers – 5 Tips for Reviving Old Blog Posts, I share five tips for for repurposing your old blog content to highlight the best of the past while giving readers new information. After all, why waste the work you’ve already done and the ideas you’ve already created?
What have I missed – do you have any tips for keeping your blog posts on the front page of Google’s search rankings? I welcome your comments below…