My name is Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen, creator of Quips and Tips for Successful Writers. I’m an adventurous writer, wife, Christian, gypsy, blogger, and entrepreneur who started blogging in 2008. I also play the flute and romp with my dogs in the forests of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
My “Quips and Tips” blogs occupy me full-time (and beyond!). I love blogging – the freedom, creativity, and inspiration. On my blogs I recently started Putting Parables Into Practice, which allows me to connect stories and fables with practical tips for dealing with problems. This suits my personality and passions perfectly!
Random Stuff About Me
- I lived in Kenya, East Africa for three years. I taught Language Arts and Journalism at Rosslyn Academy – an American school in Nairobi.
- My degrees are in Education and Psychology from the University of Alberta, in Edmonton.
- Until recently, I was a full-time grad student at the University of British Columbia (UBC), in Vancouver. I earned my MSW (Master of Social Work), and I now work on contract with Big Brothers and North Shore Crisis Services Society.
- I’m a volunteer Big Sister through the Big Sisters organization in Vancouver. I was a Little Sister when I was 10 or 11, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I’m still in touch with my Big Sister, who lives in Toronto, Ontario.
- As a freelance writer, I’ve written for a wide range of publications, including Reader’s Digest, Woman’s Day, MSN Health, Natural Health, Spirituality & Health, and sometimes More. I also wrote monthly articles for BC Women’s Hospital in Vancouver.
- I earn a pretty good income from my “Quips and Tips” blogs and ebooks.
- My dad was born, raised, and currently lives in Jerusalem, Israel. He’s Jewish. My mom lives in a group home on an acreage outside Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. She’s Christian, and has struggled with schizophrenia my whole life. I lived in foster homes as a child.
- My husband and I can’t have kids because of azoospermia. We chose not to get in vitro fertilization or IVF, though we did try intrauterine insemination or IUI. We also chose not to adopt or foster kids. Instead, we’re focusing on the blessings and benefits of not having kids (and there are many many many).
If you have any questions about me, please feel free to ask below. I can’t give blogging advice or writing tips or agent hunting maps, but I’m happy to answer questions about me and my life.
My “Quips and Tips” Blogs
Quips and Tips for Successful Writers is the first blog I ever started, in 2008. It’s all about writing, editing, getting published — and blogging! There, I combine quips from famous published writers with practical writing advice. I write about everything from how to grab your reader by the throat to reasons book manuscripts are rejected.
Quips and Tips for Love and Relationships blends my two favorite topics: love and money. There, I weave finances with relationships — and all articles contain practical money and love tips for couples. My most popular article on that site is about dealing with a toxic ex-wife.
Quips and Tips for Couples Coping With Infertility — because infertility is a drag, but it doesn’t have to make us bitter, angry, or depressed. My husband and I are riding the infertility roller coaster, but it hasn’t destroyed our dreams or crushed our spirits. I write articles about getting pregnant, dealing with childlessness, and even improving sperm count.
Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals covers everything from overcoming career obstacles to making more money. Articles range from toilet training your cat to the best investments for your money. This site helps readers achieve their personal, professional, and financial goals.
The Dog Blog is my latest, greatest blog. I have two dogs – Georgie and Tiffy – and really enjoy learning as much as I can about dogs. The more I learn, the more I share!
The Love Blog is sort of an experiment. My Quips and Tips for Love and Relationships blog was so popular, I was curious to see what would happen if I created a sister blog. The judges are still out on that one.
My Quips and Tips eBooks
The “quips and tips” in my ebooks are not the same as the “quips and tips” on my blogs! All my ebooks include information and advice from a wide variety of sources. My ebooks aren’t just my tips — they’re me tapping into the brains of smart, experienced, educated, helpful people, and sharing what I learned.
75 Ways to Make (More) Money Blogging – to help writers and bloggers make money doing what they love! If you spend time and energy on your blog, you deserve to earn a few bucks for your efforts. This ebook isn’t just about making money blogging, it’s about building a better blog.
73 Ways to Fire Up (or Just Fire!) the Muse – to help writers and bloggers overcome fear, self-doubt, criticism, and uncertainty. After all, who wants to read age 95 and wish they had written that bestselling novel? Who wants to die with unfulfilled dreams and desires? Not me.
75 Ways to Let Go of Someone You Love – to help people let go of the past and move on with their lives. Letting go is one of the most painful things you’ll ever do…but there are ways to make it easier.
80 Ways to Say “I Love You” – to help people like me, who struggle to find the right holiday, anniversary, and birthday gifts for their partners! This ebook is about more than gifts, though — it’s about saying “I love you” and building a more meaningful relationship in small, incredibly important ways every day.
Letting Go of an Animal You Love – for people who are struggling to cope with pet loss. I interviewed veterinarians, grief experts, and pet owners who loved and lost their animals. This ebook contains 75 tips for healing after pet loss.
That’s me in a nutshell! I’d love to hear from you – feel free to comment below.
All good things,