Before the tips, a quip:
“Motherhood was the beginning of my own journey asking the question, ‘Why am I here?’ I had to stop and think: What am I doing to teach my daughter? What do I believe in?” – said Madonna in Ladies’ Home Journal.
Before we moms-to-be think about what we believe in and what we want to teach our daughters, we need to get pregnant first! For more info on improving your chances of conceiving a baby, read The Complete Guide to Female Fertility by Kate Brian.
And, here are Dr Teitelbaum’s tips for improving female fertility….
7 Tips for Improving Female Fertility and Getting Pregnant
“These are important things to avoid from now until after you are three months pregnant, as they can cause infertility,” says Dr Teitelbaum. “Just do the best you can with these guidelines – it’s okay to not be “perfect” with them.”
1. Avoid coffee and sodas (tea is OK). Both coffee and sodas inhibit fertility-often markedly. Especially avoid caffeine if your Prolactin blood test is LOW, as it can lower it further.
2. Avoid supplements with melatonin (which is sometimes used to treat insomnia) as it can affect reproductive hormones.
3. Avoid taking over 900 mg of supplemental vitamin C daily (causes reversible infertility). Taking 750 mg a day of vitamin C, however, helps infertility,7 so we will supply this amount. Do not take over 7,000 units of supplemental vitamin A (causes birth defects-beta carotene is OK) daily. The supplement we will supply has 3,500 i.u. of vitamin A (the other 3,500 i.u. it contains is beta carotene).
4. Avoid hot tubbing after you get pregnant (it increases birth defect risks). A hot bath, which is not over 100 degrees in temperature, is a safer way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating. A hot tub is usually set at 102-104 degrees, which can overheat your body and can harm the baby.
5. Avoid a high protein or Atkins’ Diet. An Atkins-like diet in a rat study decreased fertility over 50%, says Dr Teitelbaum. For more info, read How Protein Increases Female Fertility (you need to find a healthy balance of protein to get pregnant).
6. Avoid alcohol if Prolactin levels are higher than 10 - and drink moderately or rarely even if Prolactin levels are lower.
7. Avoid vaginal lubricants such as FemGlide, Replens and Astroglide, which can damage sperm. Pre-seed brand is OK.
For more female fertility info, read 5 Tips for Boosting Your Fertility.
Dr Teitlebaum’s Lifestyle Tips for Getting Pregnant
1. It works best to have intercourse on the day you ovulate and up to 4 days before (otherwise “ad lib” whenever you feel like it). It is OK to have intercourse multiple times during this period. For purposes of getting pregnant, intercourse even 1 day after ovulation is unlikely to result in pregnancy-but OK to do anyway for its other benefits.
2. Enjoy milk products but use regular ones that have the normal amount of milk fat (e.g., whole milk) instead of low-fat or fat-free milk products. In a Harvard study, high intake of low-fat dairy foods was associated with an increased risk of infertility, while an increased intake of high-fat dairy foods was associated with a lower risk of infertility. Women consuming at least 2 servings of low-fat dairy foods per day showed an 85% increased risk of infertility. On the other hand, women consuming at least 1 serving of high-fat dairy foods per day showed a 27% reduced risk of infertility.13 Whole milk products (instead of low-fat ) also taste better.
If you’re thinking about getting pregnant in the future, read How to Stay Fertile.
And for more fertility tips, read Fertility Help – 10 tips for Fertility and Getting Pregnant.
I'm glad you're here and welcome all your comments, but I can't give advice.
Peace and blessings,
Do you have any tips for improving female fertility? Comments welcome below.
Are you trying to get pregnant? Get the Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test - it'll help you conceive quickly and naturally.