Here’s why folic acid, zinc, selenium, and three other nutritional supplements improve your fertility and help you get pregnant.
Just when I thought I’d read everything about getting pregnant, I read Getting Pregnant Faster: Boost Your Fertility in Just 3 Months – Naturally. In it, Dr Glenville lists supplements to boost fertility, and describes why and how the supplements work.
“All the supplements outlined in this chapter have been shown to be highly effective for optimum nutrition, fertility boosting, and a healthy pregnancy in conjunction with (not instead of) a healthy diet,” writes Dr Glenville in Getting Pregnant Faster: Boost Your Fertility in Just Three Months. She says most of us aren’t getting all the nutrients we need to ensure optimum health and fertility from our food, so we need to supplement our diet with fertility boosting supplements.
And, here are six fertility boosting supplements she mentions, along with a brief description (though she goes into far more detail in her book).
6 Supplements to Boost Fertility
These supplements aren’t just for women – most of them affect a man’s sperm count, quality, and production, too!
1. Folic acid is crucial for a healthy pregnancy because it produces DNA and protects the neural tube. Dr Glenville says women trying to get pregnant should take folic acid up to three months before conception – and she says men should take it too. “New evidence suggests that folic acid deficiency reduces fertility in men and may damage the DNA carried by sperm.” Buy Nature Made Folic Acid on Amazon.
2. Zinc is a supplement to boost fertility because it is vitally important for growth and proper cell division in a fetus. Zinc deficiency leads to reduced fertility, hormone imbalance, and increased risk of miscarriage. “Zinc is also needed for the proper development of sperm,” writes Dr Glenville. “Research suggests that zinc deficiency in men causes a temporary but reversible reduction in sperm count and a reduced testosterone level; giving zinc to men with low testosterone levels increases sperm count.” Buy Now Foods Zinc Gluconate on Amazon.
3. Selenium is a mineral that helps protect your body from free radical damage, which is very important for healthy cell division. Selenium deficiency in women has been linked to a higher risk of miscarriage. Selenium deficiency in men is associated with sperm that can’t move properly and are thus less likely to impregnate an egg. This fertility boosting supplement can make sperm more fertile. But, before you take fertility supplements to get pregnant, always check with your doctor.
4. Essential fatty acids can help you get pregnant faster because they regulate reproductive hormones and boost your baby’s brain, eye, and central nervous system development. The prostaglandins in essential fatty acids have hormone-like functions and can help prevent blood from clotting inappropriately, which can prevent the risk of miscarriage. Men who have sperm problems have lower than normal levels of beneficial prostaglandins. Buy PacificCoast NutriLabs Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplements on Amazon.
5. Vitamins B6 and B12 are supplements that boost fertility because they help the development and maintenance of a healthy immune system, and for cellular reproduction (respectively). Vitamin B6 deficiency may result in poor immune function, hormone imbalances, and various other problems – and taking Vitamin B6 can help regulate periods and increase fertility. Vitamin B12 can reduce the risk of miscarriage and raise a low sperm count. Your body doesn’t store B12, so it’s important to eat foods that increase fertility levels.
6. Vitamin E can help you get pregnant because it may reduce age-related ovarian decline in women. This fertility boosting supplement helps combat free radicals, which can lower sperm count (and if you want to get pregnant faster, you need as high a sperm count as possible!). Plus, Vitamin E deficiency can result in anemia and irritability.
Other fertility boosting supplements:
- Vitamin C
- Co-Enzyme Q10
- Vitamin A
“[These fertility boosting supplements] will boost your general health and well-being. In just a few weeks you will notice that you feel more relaxed and upbeat, you’ll have better digestion, fewer aches and pains, softer skin, brighter eyes, and bags of energy,” writes Dr Glenville. “All this is an unexpected by commonly reported bonus of following my fertility-boosting plan.”
Have you been trying to get pregnant for longer than six months? It may be time to go back to the beginning, and read A Preconception Checklist.
Subscribe to Blossom
Sign up for your free weekly email
You Might Also Like...
If you have any thoughts on food and supplements, please comment below…