Here’s a list of things you must pack for a resort vacation or all-inclusive holiday – from re-usable ice to hand sanitizer. These packing tips will ensure you won’t forget anything on your vacation.
First, here’s a tip from a “Quips and Tips” reader:
“Pack your own re-useable ice,” says Jeremy, who created a Stainless Steel Coffee Mugs site. “Some ice cubes are little plastic bags or stones. Use this with your travel mugs and you’ve got your own ice and cup! Most bars won’t mind putting the mixed drink in your cup for you — and you’re not drinking the water.”
This is a fantastic idea — it keeps your drink tasty! The Teraforma Whisky Stones keep your drinks icy cold without watering them down. This is an urgent matter for us beach-cocktail-sippers.
And, here are several more packing tips for all-inclusive holidays…
What to Pack for a Vacation at an All-Inclusive Resort
1. Hand sanitizer. Easy to forget, crucial to have! Always wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer after playing in the sand – because children and adults who build castles and dig in the sand at the beach are at greater risk of developing gastrointestinal diseases and diarrhea than people who only walk on the shore or swim in the surf, according to research from the University of North Carolina and the Environmental Protection Agency. Grab a couple travel bottles of hand sanitizer — the Bath & Body Works White Citrus Cleansing Hand Gel smells gorgeous — and put them in all your beach bags.
2. Travel mug – stainless steel? When we went to an all-inclusive resort in Costa Rica, my husband suggested we pack travel mugs. I shrugged him off — and regretted it the whole trip! Insulated travel mugs keep your mai tais and diet Cokes icy cold, and your morning coffee hot and fresh. You can take them to the beach or pool, and enjoy larger serving sizes. This packing tip seems counterintuitive (since “everything” is included on an all-inclusive holiday), but it’s a great idea. Also, as far as toxins go, I’ve read that stainless steel travel mugs are better than plastic.
3. iPad, Kindle, or other electronic reader. I’m a huge fan of print books — I can’t stand the thought of reading on an e-reader! But, I also can’t stand the thought of being weighed down by tons ‘o beach books, so…I choose the lesser of two evils. Packing an iPad, Kindle, or some type of e-reader may be one of the smartest packing tips you’ll get. They’re not too expensive — check out the Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device and the Apple iPad on Amazon. Wifi access is good to have!
4. Old clothes, to leave behind. I always bring old clothes on my vacations. After I wear them, I leave them in the hotel room for the cleaning staff to use however they like…and I have space in my suitcase for new clothes and souvenirs! This packing tip may not work if you care how you look on your holidays…but I’d prefer to look a little “shabbier” and have more room in my luggage to bring great stuff home. Knowing what to pack on holidays involves knowing what you want to bring home!
5. Pilates or Yoga mat. The Allegro Papagayo Resort in Costa Rica offered stretch classes, which I loved. But no matter where I am — an all-inclusive resort or my own gym at home — I’m not a big fan of exercise mats that other people have sweated on. If you think you’ll be exercising on vacation (don’t knock it!), pack your Pilates or Yoga mat. Or, use your hand sanitizer to wipe down the mat at the resort (still grosses me out, though).
6. Nail polish and manicure set — his and hers. Our all-inclusive resort vacation had a spa, but the manicure, pedicure, and massage prices were too rich for my blood. Whenever I go on holidays — all inclusive resorts or not — I always bring my own spa supplies. I love painting my nails by the pool, especially since I never have time to do it before I go on vacation (there are so many other things to take care of!).
If you need a carry on (and we all do), read Packing a Carry On Bag for Air Travel? Easy Ways to Pack Light.
If you have any thoughts on what to pack for a resort vacation — or packing tips! — please comment below…