These 80 ways to say “I love you” don’t require words – and they’re easy, creative, practical, and affordable!
A reader asked how to show his love to his new girlfriend on my Romantic Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas article, and I didn’t want to resort to expensive gift ideas.
Before my tips, a quip:
“Love is everything it’s cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.” ~ Erica Jong.
A wonderful way to say “I love you” is to take risks for your sweetheart. I don’t mean jumping off tall buildings or outrunning trains…I mean being vulnerable, honest, and generous with your heart, mind, body, and soul.
But if you’re looking for a more tangible way to show your love (i.e., a romantic gift), I recommend a Ghirardelli Chocolate Gift Basket. It’s delicious in oh so many ways! And, here are many many practical ways to show your love to your sweetheart….
80 Ways to Show Your Love
Most of these ways to show your love don’t require you to spend any money at all – which makes them all the sweeter!
1. Do one loving thing every day for your sweetheart – even little things, like folding her clothes or taking out the trash.
2. Never criticize your lover in public.
3. Listen when your sweetheart talks.
4. Don’t forget what your lover said; follow up a few days later with questions and comments (this shows you were listening, and that you care!).
5. Don’t compare your sweetheart to anyone – especially out loud.
6. Be courteous at all times. Show your love by saying “please”, “thank you”, and “you’re welcome” often.
7. Write and send one love letter a month – starting with a “why I love you” on Valentine’s Day.
8. Embrace the present moment without fear or guilt.
9. Live by the Silver Rule (treat others as they wish to be treated – not how you wish to be treated).
10. Watch the TV shows or movies that your sweetheart loves.
11. Become your lover’s biggest fan and cheerleader! Show your love by being supportive no matter what.
12. Toast each other over breakfast or dinner – even if you’re not drinking wine.
13. Tell your sweetheart how he or she brings love to your life.
14. Talk about your day during mealtimes – share the best and worst parts.
15. Read books aloud together – especially books about love and relationships.
16. Say you’re sorry first.
17. Avoid pushing buttons you know will trigger arguments. Show your love by being kind.
18. Treat your sweetheart’s family and friends as if they were your family and friends.
19. Make it a habit to bring up your good and bad memories.
20. Fill your sweetheart’s car up with gas.
21. Do nothing together.
22. Learn how to improve a bad relationship.
23. Encourage your lover to be physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy.
24. Trust your partner enough to cry with her or him.
25. Act silly together.
26. Be lavish in praise – compliment your sweetheart freely, and often.
27. Ask questions about your lover’s opinions, feelings, thoughts. Show your love by being curious.
28. Forget about labels – let your sweetheart change and grow.
29. Encourage adventures and risks!
30. Forgive the little stuff.
31. Forgive the big stuff.
32. Show your joy when they come home.
33. Bake cookies together. Show your love by feeding each other!
34. Try a new exotic recipe together – this is a great way to say “I love you.” Make sushi, or pad thai.
35. Practice different romance tips to make your sweetheart feel loved.
36. Leave stress at work.
37. Use flannel sheets in the winter.
38. Solve problems together – such as crosswords or Sudoku.
39. Show your love by showing your gratitude. True love is a daily act of appreciation!
40. Be a good sounding board.
41. Take pride in your lover – and show your pride.
42. Compliment your lover in front of others.
43. Spend time doing things with your sweetheart (not just watching movies).
44. Listen all the way to the end
45. Ask for hugs and kisses – and give hugs and kisses freely.
46. Take vacations together.
47. Tell the truth gently and lovingly.
48. Use pet names.
49. Let go of the past. Show your love by releasing them, and yourself.
50. Practice self-acceptance – because the more you accept yourself, the more you’ll accept and love your sweetheart.
51. Let go of jealousy, anger, and resentment.
52. Accept your lover’s weaknesses and flaws.
53. Hunt for treasure together – this is a great way to say “I love you” on Valentine’s Day!
54. Be interested in your sweetheart’s interests.
55. Ditch work or responsibilities to play with your lover.
56. Be yourself.
57. Learn how to be a good husband or wife. Show your love by making an effort.
58. Share chocolates, ice cream sundaes, milkshakes, decadent desserts.
59. Ignore real or perceived slights.
60. Pray or meditate together – learn about the power of prayer as a couple.
61. Practice forgiveness.
62. Watch classic movies together.
63. Leave notes or send letters.
64. Show your love with a ”for no reason at all” gift.
65. Don’t gossip or judge.
66. Give the benefit of the doubt.
67. Learn what your sweetheart needs — and give it to him or her.
68. Give space when your lover is in a bad or sad mood.
69. Learn something new together.
70. Take dancing lessons together – this is a great way to say “I love you” on Valentine’s Day!
71. Keep your promises. Show your love by being dependable.
72. Make your lover laugh.
73. Always put your sweetheart’s feelings first.
74. Learn ways to rekindle the romance.
75. Take a marriage or couples retreat weekend together.
76. Hide a surprise in your lover’s lunch – a gourmet chocolate treat is a great way to say “I love you” on Valentine’s Day!
77. Never stop working on your relationship or marriage.
78. Make home a fun place to be.
79. Learn how to fight fair.
80. Tell your sweetheart why you love him or her.
81. Get 80 Ways to Say “I Love You”!
How do you show love without words?